Monday, February 21, 2011

Marriage

First, I want to start off by saying that I don't want to offend anyone with this post. I just want to talk about what works for us. I'm not here to criticize others. We have just been talking about marriage in bible study and it got me thinking. As I was sitting in bible study the other week, I just sat back and listened to what the other ladies were saying. I did realize that I do not share the same thoughts and feelings as these ladies....about some things. So, I thought I would write a post about it. Like I said, this is what we do and it seems to work for us :)

I am a pretty modern girl. I don't really believe in gender roles....as in like I am the only one that cooks because I am a girl. I really like that my husband and I share the roles/duties. If something needs to be cleaned, Eric will do it. He won't wait for me because it is "my job." I love to cook, so I do the majority of that. But, when I was growing up, my dad did almost all of the cooking. Some wives enjoy cleaning, cooking, and all that because their husband works and they feel they need to do that...which is fine. My husband works very hard and we really appreciate that. I don't ask him to do everything for us, but he helps out with things, especially when I am at work. I think that is setting a good example for our boys, to see mommy and daddy working together on things. My hubby is really good at cleaning the bathroom..haha...and he doesn't mind doing it and it gets so clean :) It usually works out that he does things that I don't like doing and he doesn't mind doing it. Like the bathrooms, or ironing. I am weird and don't mind doing the laundry. I have been known to "yell" at him for helping with the laundry...haha! Anyway, I like that we share the responsibilities.

Working is another huge thing for me. I started babysitting when I was 13 and have always had a job since....well, there were some breaks in there, but I didn't like that! I know that I cannot be a stay at home mom, it just isn't me. I don't want to be working 60 hours a week though. I like that at my current job, I work about 24 hours a week. I get that little break from the boys, even though I miss them like crazy, but then I get to come home and play! My family needs me to work right now. Things are tough here. We are making it and things will work out, but I need to work. In these times, it is hard to stay home. Some people are fortunate enough to have a spouse that can provide for all their needs. However, I see so many families that it just isn't working. Oh well. I like working. I like that I am also providing for my family. I felt so bad when I wasn't working, I didn't think it was fair to put all that stress on Eric. I want our boys to have what they need. I want to do special things with them. I don't want to spoil them rotten though :) We try our hardest to do things as a family, nothing big and expensive, but fun things that hopefully the kids will remember. We go to the zoo, apple picking, parks, I love doing things as a family! We do get our breaks from the kids though and those are nice also. I would rather save some money to have a nice dinner out with the kids every few months than buy myself something foolish.

We don't always agree on things, but we are getting better at talking about things. I am one of those people that will give the silent treatment when I am mad. Eric tries so hard to get me to talk to him and I just won't. I know that is something that I need to work on....believe me, I am trying! We are still growing in our marriage, making it stronger everyday. I could write more, but I won't share everything! I hope this post made sense....haha, it kind of jumps around. Bottom line, we work together, share the duties, talk about what we want, where we want to go, we appreciate each other what what we do for the family. I think my hubby is the best! We get angry at times, annoyed, but then some one does something or says something funny. We laugh a lot in our home. I love you hubby!!

1 comment:

  1. Isn't marriage fun, exciting, and like a roller coaster?! :) I LOVE it.

    I totally share similar beliefs as you. I don't see myself being a full time stay at home mom... I. just. can't. do. it. :) My friend has sent her son to day care for 4 years and said that they love their time with their son and say it's quality instead of quantity. I can really see how it works for them!

    I also have similar beliefs as you in the roles we play.... We share jobs but I must admit, Josh does a fabulous job cleaning/organizing/all the above because of his personality! I've been working full time and he's been doing a great job buying groceries, cooking meals, cleaning, etc. Sadly, he gets teased a bit but I totally love him for everything he does!

    I think there's ALWAYS room to grow in a marriage... :)

    (I feel like I'm catching up on my blogs now that we've put internet into our budget! ;) haha)

    ReplyDelete